Wednesday, January 14, 2015

GAME plan

Everyone in this world shows self-directed learning at some point in their life. "You are self-directed anytime you learn a new skill (for example, how to use a digital video camera) or pursue more information about an intriguing topic, sparked by something you read or heard" (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009, p. 2).  It is most important as educators to show and teach our students about becoming self-directed learners.

In a 21st century learning environment, our classrooms should be "plugged in." We need to work  harder for the attention of our students, especially since they are so used to having technology in their faces constantly. In order to do this, there are two ISTE standards that I would like to set as a goal for myself this year:
1. "Facilitate and inspire student learning and creativity"
2. "Engage in professional growth and leadership"

My goal within the first chosen standard is to "engage students in exploring real-world issues and solving authentic problems using digital tools and resources." I would like my students to be exposed to real world problems that they will need work through while using technology as a tool to support them. Far too often, my classroom is more teacher directed learning and less on my students. It is important to release the cognitive load onto the students and have them lead their learning. In order to reach my goal, I am going to need to give my students many more opportunities to ask questions, work together,  and find their own answers. To monitor my goal, I will be using my weekly lesson plans and reflections that are turned into my administrator. Lastly, to evaluate my goal, I will look back at my reflections to see if my lessons have more of a real-world focus or if my students are still receiving direct instruction about a topic.


My second goal is to "participate in local learning communities to explore creative applications of technology to improve student learning." As someone who wants to learn more about technology and the integration into a classroom, one would think that I would read up on the current blogs. I am planning to find a couple of technology blogs to actually follow each week for new ideas that I can use within my own classroom. I would also like to use the edmodo connection as well, by reaching out to educators across the world. In order to monitor my goal, I would like to start a technology journal where I can write down the ideas that I find. In the end, this journal will show if I have been keeping up with my goal of learning new technology to add to my classroom. I will also be able to see if I have included any of my new findings into my own classroom.

References:

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards for teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-teachers

6 comments:

  1. Stacy,
    I have am focusing on the same two areas that you have chosen. I like the GAME plan that you listed in your first goal but my suggestion would be in order to make the monitoring and reflection process more personal to keep a journal of notes. Also, since I am currently focusing on the same second goal, I am interested in viewing the technology blogs you suggested. Can you post some links to them? It would be appreciated.
    Thanks for sharing and good luck!
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monica, thank you so much for your suggestion. I will definitely try to keep a journal. Luckily, the lesson plans and reflections for my administrator are all done on the computer, I can keep files together easily. As for the technology blogs, I will be happy to post some of my favorites. Currently, I am using the edmodo communities for ideas, which have been incredibly helpful this week. If you haven't tried edmodo, I highly recommend it. The education communities are fantastic!

      Delete
  2. Stacy,

    I can relate to your comment about relying too heavily on direct instruction. As a fellow 6th grade teacher, I often worry about the maturity level of my students and their ability to effectively work autonomously without losing focus and going off task. I think this is why Cennamo, Ross, and Ertmer (2009) link authentic instruction with learner autonomy: "The level of engagement that results from being able to pursue your own interests is one of the hallmarks of an effective creative task" (p.29). If the task is engaging enough, students will be intrinsically motivated to work and won't WANT to go off task. It's certainly a risk to implement this with immature learners, but the reward is worth it.

    This is one of my goals, too, so let's see what happens!

    -Brent

    Reference

    Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2010). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brent, It is so nice to know that I am not alone. Out of curiosity, what are some activities that have worked with your classroom so far?

      Delete
  3. Stacy,

    Keeping a technology journal is a great idea!

    I am immersed in technology with my public virtual school, but face the same challenges with getting kids to connect to content. Our kids are probably beyond most in communication technology, but getting them engaged from home is a daunting challenge. We use Skype with screen sharing, Google Hangouts, Join Me, and Stoodle virtual whiteboard to talk with them frequently; also texting and FaceTime and the ever-present email to stay in close virtual proximity.

    VoiceThread is an application you might find useful. I've used it to great affect for group projects, as kids can do a web quest independently and post the results to VT for collaboration with classmates. They can post documents or multimedia, and peers can comment in a wide array of communication methods. Provides learning across many strands of standards, from technological prowess to nearly any content imaginable - and fosters cooperation and courtesy, and underrated trait most employers look for in team members. Our kids tend to have very independent parents who often are over protective and isolate their kids, and therefore I find them eager to speak with other kids and teachers, even if virtually.

    I am also working on a Camtasia lesson to teach screen casting, a skill I believe has huge potential for group projects in the Constructivistic tradition. It incorporates real world technical skills with script writing, organizing and planning, research, production, and creative and artistic elements. I'm hopeful they will be as engaged with it as I am!

    Great post, and good luck with your goals ...

    Marty Culberson
    Walden EDUC 6713

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marty, thank you so much for your ideas. You have mentioned so many programs and lessons that I have never actually heard of and cannot wait to look up. Voicethread sounds great for collaboration and this is something that I know my students struggle with. As sixth graders, they are still in the "me" mentality and have difficulties listening and working with each other. Discourse is something we are working on as a school and this seems to promote a great deal of discussion and collaboration through the use of technology. I will definitely be looking into it. Thank you again for your ideas!

      Delete