Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Carrying out my GAME Plan

In my last blog, I mentioned a couple of my technology goals that I am setting for myself. These goals are coming from the National Education Standards for Teachers in Technology. My first goal is to engage students in real world issues and to solve problems through the use of digital tools and resources. My second goal is to participate in learning communities relating to technology. This week, I am focusing on the resources that I need in order to meet my goals and how I am doing with my goals thus far.

Resources/ Information Needed:

Goal #1

In order to meet my first goal, I will need to work closely with the math coach, literacy coach, and technology coach that are in my school. These wonderful colleagues are a wealth of knowledge and will help with providing ideas for lessons that will be real world related and how I can integrate technology into the lesson. In addition, I will need access to the iPads and computer lab every once in a while for my students to participate in these activities. The technology coach is in the process of downloading edmodo as an app on our iPads for my students to have more access to classroom discussion. Finally, I will use articles from Newsela.com to engage my students in current news discussions.

Goal #2

For this goal, I do not feel as though I need much in regards to resources. What I need to do is to do some research and talk with the technology coach about some blogs that he may subscribe to relating to technology. Anyone out there subscribe to a good technology blog to follow? Please, mention it in a comment!

How am I doing?

I would have to say that I am in the beginning stages of meeting my goals. I currently feel somewhat overwhelmed by the demands of being an educator and meeting the needs of my graduate classes. I have not had enough time to really look for any blogs to subscribe to. However, I have discussed some new digital tools with my technology coach that I have started to implement with my students. The first being a digital math textbook and also having edmodo downloaded to the iPads. Once the iPads have edmodo, I would love to start having current event discussions on a weekly basis with my students, as well as book chats.

6 comments:

  1. Stacy,

    It seems like you are well on your way to achieving your goals. I think the key to feeling successful is to set narrow goals right now that you can expand more upon in the future. For example, I have a very lofty goal of integrating my students' field trip into a meaningful learning experience where they are using technology to solve the problems with zoos. To think that this is going to work this year the way I envision is unrealistic. I know I have to limit my goal to something that is achievable, so I might only work with a small group of students this year so I can work out the kinks. I'll be able to do other things with my classes as a whole, but it doesn't NEED to happen this year.

    I, too, feel overwhelmed sometimes with teaching, and the ever growing NON-teaching demands that seem to get piled on at an alarming rate. That coupled with continuing my education and trying to take risks in the classroom can seem downright impossible, so I set small goals and celebrate myself when I reach them.

    Maybe on Monday morning you'll say, "This week, I will talk to the technology coach about [x] and see how our discussion helps develop my GAME plan, and I will test this technology with a couple of students to see what I'm working with. Done.

    I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions about Newsela, too. I've been to a webinar and have been using it for a while with my classes. Did you create an account? Do your students have their own accounts?

    Good luck with everything!

    -Brent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy to Brent -
      Thank you so much for your input. It is nice to hear that we are all not alone. Setting small goals is definitely something I will be doing.
      Currently, I am only using newsela to print out articles each week for my students to read and respond to. I do have an account for myself, but not for my students. I would love to give them more access. How are you using it with your students?

      - Stacy

      Delete
  2. Stacy,

    I complete understand your feeling of being overwhelmed with the demands of teaching, graduate course work, and family. Before we know it another week has passed. I think it is important that we focus on the small steps and not to try to take on too much at once. Every step we take in meeting the goals is one that we had not previously taken and is getting us closer to achieving our goal. I am not even sure if my goals of inspiring student learning and creativity and modeling digital citizenship and responsibility are goals that I can ever say I met them and I am ready to move on. I think that they are goals that will restart with each school year and will continue to stay relevant as long as I am teaching.

    The ELA teacher on my grade level uses edmodo for nonfiction discussions. The students select a weekly nonfiction writing they would like to read, they read it, and they the initiate a discussion about it. It has really increased their interest in reading nonfiction while simultaneously improving their writing skills and digital citizenship.

    I really enjoy Richard Byrne's blog Free Technology for Teachers at http://www.freetech4teachers.com/

    Kelly Nellums

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy to Kelly -

      Thank you so much for the blog to follow! I will definite be adding it to my list of blogs to follow!
      With edmodo, I have really only used it for a couple of discussions this year. My goal is to get my students to post their nightly reading responses and reply to one another. My one worry is that there are quite a few students without computer access or internet access. I am hoping that I can have those students participate as soon as they get to school in the morning. Does the teacher in your building use it strictly for in class assignments or out of school things as well? How does she manage students who are not able to get access?

      - Stacy

      Delete
  3. You are doing just fine in accomplishing your goal. You have an excellent support network of fellow educators who can help you along the way. Please be sure to share what you learn from your technology coach with the rest of us. I myself would appreciate any new technology blogs to learn from.
    I can relate to balancing so many responsibilities at once. However, I think this is where GAME planning is most beneficial. It sets manageable goals and having weekly assignments forcing us to make the time to accomplish them. It reminds of the riddle of how to eat an elephant: one step at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy to Lynch -

      I am happy to post anything new to my blog. As of Friday afternoon, edmodo was added to our iPads at school and I had a few students posting! One step at a time is right!
      - Stacy

      Delete