Thursday, October 6, 2011

Students are Actually Able to Talk During Class?


Children growing up in the 21st century are bombarded with so much information through so many different channels. They have access to television, Internet, newspapers, smart phones, and so much more. With this in mind, it does not surprise me that teachers have a difficult time reaching their students. Long overdue are the days of all-class novels and direct instruction. These children are growing up in a time where they need to be able to think critically, problem solve, and work collaboratively with others in order to succeed in their own futures. This means our students should be allowed to talk and work with their peers in order to enhance their learning experiences.

Social networks online have become the best interaction since A.O.L. Instant Messenger. Myspace, Facebook, Twitter, and so many more are drawing society in by helping people keep in touch with anyone and everyone they meet. The unfortunate piece to this puzzle is that schools are blocking these sites because they are a distraction to the education process. Due to this, sites have been developed to continue with social networking but in a safe manner. A site called Fakebook allows students to work together and create educational profiles for topics, events, famous people in history, and characters in a book. This lesson combines collaboration, content, and a project that the students can relate to. Other resources that would benefit a classroom are: webquests, blogging, wiki’s, and voice threads.

Collaborative learning is a wonderful teaching strategy to implement in the classroom. I had always heard the phrase, “two heads are better than one,” yet while I was in school, that was never really the case. As an educator now, I am seeing my students achieve more when they are able to discuss their knowledge and learning with others. According to Beaumie Kim (2001), knowledge and learning are built through social interactions.

I was very impressed by the teacher’s techniques and how engaged the students were in the lesson.

In my own classroom, I try to use social learning daily. While teaching math, I use think, pair, and share. In Social Studies, I have them complete projects in groups, and in Language Arts, they can participate in some social work stations. I have found managing social groups somewhat difficult, as my sixth graders tend to fly off topic quickly. I am hoping in the future, when I can incorporate more exciting technologically based projects, my students will have more focus.

Resources:

Kim, B. (2001). Social Constructivism.. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved <insert date>, from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/

2 comments:

  1. That is great that you are grouping your students together in all of your classes. As much as I use cooperative groups in Virtual Enterprise which is daily due to the design of the course...I rarely use it in my two other courses. In my Business Tech Core my students work mostly independently on their business plans and in Career Education they work on their career plan. Both classes do meet in whole group activities which are small by nature of the alternative high school setting, but this may only occur once or twice weekly. You have inspired me to rethink these two courses! Thank you and nice blog post! I really like the link to the educational video that supports your blog post!!

    Fred Aspan-Martin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Fred, I am glad I have gotten you to think about using this model in more of your classes. I think it would be beneficial to your business tech students and career education students. I think if I were in those classes, it would be nice to run my ideas through peers and get feedback on what you are doing. If students are interested in the same career or designing their own business, have them work on a project together.

    ReplyDelete